When I’m teaching the Moon Code workshop & sharing practices for menstruation, there is usually a guest who asks:
"How can I feel bliss during my period when I’m writhing around in agony and bleeding everywhere?”
It’s true that there is deep bliss to be experienced during the menstrual phase and access to altered states of consciousness and visioning to explore.
But painful, heavy periods, block our access to these gifts.
These symptoms keep us stuck in survival mode. We are forced to numb out with pain killers and dissociate from our bodies.
We miss the magical restorative gifts of our bleed and the window of access to our inner wisdom as it opens.
If pain and heavy flow are present during your bleeding time, consider the possible causes below as the start of your healing journey:
1. Hormonal imbalance: Mennorhagia (heavy periods) can be caused by oestrogen imbalance. If your blood is clotted, dark red/almost black in colour, check for high oestrogen. (Home tests are available!)
2. Inflammation: When it’s time to start bleeding, the body releases prostaglandis to activate the contractions which start shedding the uterine lining. The more inflammation in your body, the greater the contractions are, and the more severe the pain (Dysmennorhea).
3. Uterine issues: Symptoms of Fibroids, Endometriosis, Polyps & Adenomyosis can include heavy bleeding and/or strong period pain.
4. Obstruction & toxicity. These relate to the three points above. Many of us are internally toxic from years of consuming mucus-forming foods which clog the GIT, liver & kidneys. This can be the underlying cause of hormonal imbalance, uterine issues and inflammation in the body.
5. Uterus position: Do you know the position of your womb? Those with a retroverted or displaced uterus are more likely to experience strong menstrual pain.
Would you like to learn how to eliminate heavy, painful periods and claim menstruation as a time of rest & retreat?
Over the last two years I’ve been supporting people to experience pain-free, light periods and access the full powers of menstruation. If you’d like to work with me in an online consultation, find the ‘Menstrual Healing’ page here.